'How Far Will We Go?'

 
 
 
Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion
 
 

The people stood by and watched; the rulers, meanwhile, sneered at him and said, "He saved others, let him save himself if he is the chosen one, the Messiah of God."

- Luke 23:35
 
Shortly before her death from cancer, a deeply committed friend told me that she doubted she would have remained a faithful follower of Jesus if she had been alive 2000 years ago. She explained that at the end of her life, she realized that her insatiable desire for certainty and security would have gotten in the way of standing by Jesus when he was falsely accused by those in positions of power.

My friend's honesty made me wonder just how far I am willing to go in following Jesus. There undoubtedly have been times in my life when I have failed to speak up for others as they faced oppression, bigotry and injustice because I was afraid of the consequences. I wonder how I have added to their suffering because of my unwillingness to challenge a cruel remark or stop the spread of malicious gossip.
 
Each one of us has to answer our own Question, How far would you go !
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment